niedziela, 25 marca 2012

Orlando, Lolita Fashion and feminism

A few words about famous Orlando^^
As you probably remember Mana mentioned this character in one interview.
This is a story about Orlando who had been cursed 
by Queen Elizabeth I and lived 400 years and probably longer.


She's lived for 400 years and hardly aged a day; but, 
because this is England, everyone pretends not to notice. 


Queen Elizabeth I: [conferring the family estate upon Orlando] 
For you and for your heirs, Orlando: the house. 
Orlando: Your Majesty, I am forever... 
Queen Elizabeth I: But on one condition. Do not fade. Do not wither. Do not grow old. 



Orlando does not get old, but what is more interesting
he started his life as a man,
but then he turned into a women.

Same person. No difference at all... just a different sex. 


Nothing changes in him/her.
He/she is still the same person,
but everything around them changed. 
He has to behave in a different way, 
people treat her differently and she has different obligations and requires. 

Orlando: If I were a man... 
Shelmerdine: You? 
Orlando: I might choose not to risk my life for an uncertain cause. 
I might think that freedom won by death is not worth having. In fact... 
Shelmerdine: You might choose not to be a real man at all. Say, if I were a woman... 
Orlando: You? 
Shelmerdine: I might choose not to sacrifice my life caring for my children, 
nor my children's children, 
nor to drown anonymously in the milk of female kindness, 
but instead, say, to go abroad. Would I then be... 
Orlando: A real woman? 



I think that would be cool
to write an article about visual kei and feminism
or even better about feminism and Lolita Fashion!
(I will do it!
 Look for it in Kakusei Wave someday^^)

Maybe just a few words about feminism here.
Can a girl like me who loves frills, ponies etc.
and care so much about her appearance be a feminist?
Well maybe leave me behind -I am strange,
but generally speaking: can Lolita be a feminist?
Too all ignorant people:

(photo from tumblr) 

I would even say that wearing Lolita 
can be very feminist- specially in Japan.
Lolitas want to be independent 
and clothes are just a part of it.
Lolitas can be dolls, but they are dolls for themselves.
Going back to me:
lately on my lecture about a women in a society
we were asked if we are feminists
and I did not raise my hand. Why?
I am not a feminist, because I do not need to be.
I am such a conformist that I do not see a need to be a feminist
if I have never felt discriminated so far. 
What for should I bother my mind?
Do not try to understand my logic XD

(all screenshots are from the movie-
feast for the eyes- all this costumes<3)

3 komentarze:

  1. Słyszałam o tym filmie już bardzo dawno temu, lata temu, ale nigdy nie miałam okazji go obejrzeć. Właśnie dlatego, że jest o zmianie tożsamości, a może o doświadczaniu różnych tożsamości, że opowieść napisała Virginia Woolf, i że porusza temat niejednoznaczności płciowej, a takie tematy jakoś zawsze mnie przyciągają. No i Tilda Swinton :-)) Widziałam ją tez kiedyś w robiącej wrażenie roli anioła - też taka nieokreślona płciowo postać.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  2. A żeby było ciekawiej, królową Elżbietę w tym filmie gra aktor gej :-)

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  3. Mnie też bardzo interesują tego typu tematy. Właśnie teraz zamierzam książkę przeczytać^.^
    Wow Królową gra facet? Nie zauważyłam nawetXD

    OdpowiedzUsuń