sobota, 3 sierpnia 2013

Poor Knight. Or the Idiot.

There is something at the bottom of every new human thought, 
every thought of genius, 
or even every earnest thought that springs up in any brain, 
which can never be communicated to others, 
even if one were to write volumes about it 
and were explaining one's idea for thirty-five years; 
there's something left which cannot be induced to emerge from your brain, 
and remains with you forever; 
and with it you will die, 
without communicating to anyone perhaps the most important of your ideas.
 Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Idiot

How can I write about a story which says itself such words?
I waited with this post for a while......
Usually I use blog entries to systematize my thoughts,
but seems like this time there is no way to do it.
So I will just write to spill some emotions outside me.




(Yeah, costumes and interiors were gorgeous and 
that would be the easiest to write about them,
but that's not the point)

Sometimes you encounter such stories.
Stories that will stay in you no matter what.
A simply thought about them will move you, 
will turn you into a quivering nostalgia and melancholy.


Oh gosh leave it.. straight to the point.
The Idiot by Dostoevsky.
The novel, but also the TV serial (2003).
I treat them as a one. 
It's the best (and faithful) adaption I have ever seen. Flawless.
Is it even possible to make such a masterpiece?
Can really actors become Dostoevsky figures so ideally?
Anyway it happened.


OMG when I want to write something more 
I am left speechless. 
I don't even know how to start. How to continue. How to catch it.
No, in fact you can't catch it.

Don’t let us forget that the causes of human actions 
are usually immeasurably more complex 
and varied than our subsequent explanations of them.



All trembling, nervous, bursting into tears or anger or joy, you can't even predict,
delicate natures, tired, irritated, complex, going straight into self-destruction
or wanting a salvation for a world by beauty.





(the actor playing Prince Myshkin was a genius,
he was like taken from my head)

After reading/ watching the story
you will not be able to look at this screenshot
without a pounding heart. Believe me.


There is also the Japanese adaption (1951)
by Akira Kurosawa.
Quite interesting
(the characters with Japanese faces and names,
some Hokkaido customs, kotodama),
but nothing more. Just a curious detail.

Maybe I only liked the direct explanation
why Prince Myshkin was so fond of  Anastassya Filippovna eyes.
In the book it was just hung somewhere in between.







In the original version you can't find such a metaphor.
Instead Dostoevsky refers to Japanese culture
which in fact somehow legitimizes Japanese adaption of this masterpiece.

Japanese Anastassya Filippovna and  Aglaya


But for me they will always look like that <3


Is it true, prince, that you once declared that "beauty would save the world"? 
Great Heaven! The prince says that beauty saves the world! 
And I declare that he only has such playful ideas because he's in love! 
Gentlemen, the prince is in love. 
I guessed it the moment he came in. 
Don't blush, prince; you make me sorry for you. What beauty saves the world? 

Watch this and this ^^

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz